Summer is the season of the garage sale! Whether you’ve just run out of closet space, or your whole neighborhood is about to host a sale, garage sales are a great opportunity to clear out long stored items, and declutter (and making room for NEW STUFF!)
While it can seem daunting to put on a yard sale, they are not that tricky with the proper planning. Here are some tips to help you let go of things you no longer need and have the hit sale of the neighborhood:
- Schedule a “declutter weekend”: Clear your schedule, and get everyone in the house involved! Grab boxes and trash bags in advance and plan a place to store all of your future sale items.
- Create a “Maybe Box”: Sometimes when you’re going through a pike of things, you know exactly what should be kept and what should go. But then there’s some stuff you don’t use, but think you may need or want someday. Put those items in a box, store away, and set a reminder for 6 months from now. If you haven’t needed anything in that box for 6 months – odds are you won’t need it in the future.
- Label Everything: It can be tempting to simply put things in bins that are labeled with prices, its easy for things to be taken out and set elsewhere, then you spend the rest of the day answering “how much is this?”. Label the price of each item to avoid confusion.
- Group like items: When you set things out, group them by use or some other common theme. After all, if you sell someone a bucket, they also may be in the market for a hose.
- Advertise: If you want to sell something, you have to tell people its for sale. Advertise liberally, using social media, and signs in the days before the sale. Be sure to include times!
Donating to Charity
Many people make arrangements with a local charity to collect items that you didn’t sell. Be sure to be present if they are coming to pick up the items. It may be easier to just box up and deliver the items to your local “free store” – be sure to ask employees where and when donations are accepted.
Still not enough closet space after the big sale? Maybe its time for bigger closets! Contact us if you’re looking for a new home with better storage.